Although there have been many technological advances made in breast augmentation surgery over the years, patients should still be aware of all the breast augmentation risks and side effects. Many procedures are carried out with no issues and only expected discomfort but it is important to correctly prepare for your breast augmentation and take all the necessary precautions during your recovery.
The risks and side effects of breast augmentation fall into the following 3 major groups:
Anesthesia Side Effects
- Allergic reaction
- Increased blood pressure and heart rate
General Surgery Risks
- Excessive bleeding
- Hematoma (break in a blood vessel)
- Seroma (collection of fluid underneath the skin)
- Blood clots
- Tissue death (necrosis)
- Implant extrusion or rejection (the body rejects the implant and pushes it out)
- Change in sensitivity after your breast augmentation
- Numbness in the nipples or breast area
- Capsular contracture (breast implant hardening)
- Galactorrhea (production of breast milk)
- Unwanted scarring
- Breast implant deflation
- Implant rupture
- Soreness and stiffness
- Granulomas (inflammation in tissue that can occur if a silicone gel implant ruptures and leaks)
- Rippling, wrinkling and contour irregularities
- Synmastia (breast implants end up touching each other in the middle of the chest)
- Bottoming Out (breast implant loses its tissue support and slips below the inframammary crease).
- Mondor’s Cord (presence of a bulging vein under your breast lobe caused by inflammation of a vein)Being unhappy with your results
As you can see, the risks and side effects of breast augmentation vary from the mild to the severe. Some issues have to be dealt with by having more surgery, especially if you would like a breast augmentation revision because you are unhappy with the results. The potential complications are the same in Mexico as they are in the US so it is important to take care of yourself and let your cosmetic surgeon know if any problems arise.
Get a FREE quote for Breast Implants
Once you click the button you will receive your quote in your email within a few minutes and we will never spam you.