Silicone breast implants are one of the most popular types of breast implants available. Many women choose silicone over saline breast implants and other substances because of the particular benefits associated with silicone implants. They come in a large variety of shapes, sizes and profiles and can be smooth or textured breast implants. Like saline, silicone filled implants have an outer shell made out of a silicone rubber material.
Silicone filled breast implants are available to women who choose to have their breast augmentation in Mexico. During the consultation with your cosmetic surgeon, you will discuss the best type of silicone implant for you and decide on the size and shape.
When choosing your breast implants, you should keep in mind the advantages and disadvantages of silicone:
Advantages of Silicone Breast Implants
- Silicone implants are smoother and softer than saline and many women prefer this more natural feel – they are like a semisolid gel to touch
- Silicone implants are less likely to ripple or wrinkle than their saline counterparts
- Most silicone implants have 3 layers of shell surrounding the gel which reduces the amount of potential gel bleed
Disadvantages of Silicone Breast Implants
- The silicone gel may stay inside the implant shell or leak outside if it ruptures but there are sometimes no obvious symptoms when this happens
- The size of prefilled silicone implants cannot be changed after the surgery unless they are taken out and replaced with different sized implants
- Because of the previous FDA restrictions on silicone implants, many cosmetic surgeons have little or no experience with them
- Silicone implants are usually more expensive than saline implants
The FDA and Silicone Breast Implants
In 1992, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) removed silicone breast implants from the market leaving only saline implants available to US patients. Fourteen years later, they re-approved silicone gel filled implants. They are now available to women over 22 who desire breast augmentation. The FDA advises that women with silicone breast implants must have an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) three years after their surgery and then every two years to check for ruptures.
Get a FREE quote for Breast Implants
Once you click the button you will receive your quote in your email within a few minutes and we will never spam you.