Gummy bear breast implants (cohesive gel implants) are not available in the US at the moment and that is why many women are choosing to travel abroad for them. The idea behind them is that they combine the safety of saline filled implants with the natural feel of silicone gel filled implants.
Gummy bear implants are cohesive silicone gel implants that are filled with a thicker silicone gel than regular silicone implants. They are able to maintain their shape and integrity, even when you cut the implant. Gummy bear breast implants are designed with a natural look and feel in mind, rather than for enlargement.
At the moment, gummy bear implants are only available to women who enroll in a clinical trial. During the consultation with your cosmetic surgeon in Mexico, talk to him about whether gummy bear breast implants would be right for you.
As with silicone and saline implants, gummy bear breast implants have their advantages and disadvantages:
Advantages of Gummy Bear Breast Implants
- Gummy bear implants maintain their shape in an upright position which means that they won’t fold over, the shell won’t collapse and there is less chance of rippling
- Cohesive gel implants have a distinct shape and they will impart this upon the shape of the breast. They are also not subject to the forces of gravity as much as saline or silicone implants
- Even if a gummy bear implant ruptures, it maintains both its shape and integrity because the solid-like filling is less likely to leak out
- Cohesive gel implants last longer than saline or standard silicone
- Capsular Contracture (hardening of the breast) is less likely to occur with gummy bear implants
Disadvantages of Gummy Bear Breast Implants
- Cohesive gel implants require a slightly larger incision for insertion and they are very difficult to insert through an incision in the armpit or areola
- Because gummy bear implants will impart their shape upon the breast, it is very important to choose an implant shape that the patient wants their breast to have
- Gummy bear implants feel a little bit firmer than standard silicone gel implants
- Gummy bear implants cost significantly more than saline and standard silicone gel implants. If the patient is part of a study, they will be reimbursed most of the implant cost over a period of ten years.
- Since the cohesive gel implant is almost a solid, it can theoretically crack but no one knows if this can actually happen yet or what the consequences would be if it were to crack
Get a FREE quote for Breast Implants
Once you click the button you will receive your quote in your email within a few minutes and we will never spam you.